Here at Newgrange Gold we’ve been trying out some different Christmas Cake ideas trying to make this fruity indulgence just a little more heart healthy by substituting butter with our Newgrange Gold Rapeseed Oil which is great for baking! This is one of the best and simplest recipes that we have found.
- 800g dried fruit (using whatever dried fruit you like)
- 175ml Newgrange Gold Rapeseed Oil
- 200g dark brown sugar
- 4 tbsp honey
- 120 ml alcohol (again whatever you like-we used spiced golden rum)
- 120ml fruit juice (orange cranberry again your choice)
- 2tsp mixed spice
- 3 eggs
- 200g self raising flour
- 100g ground almonds
- Pre-heat oven to: 150c
Line cake tin with parchment paper
- Put the dried fruit, oil, sugar, honey, booze, fruit juice, and spices into a large saucepan and stir gently over a low heat until the sugar is completely dissolved (gentle bubbling).
- Then allow to cool.
- When cooled stir in the eggs, flour and ground almonds.
- Put into 1 large springform tin and cook for 2hrs. Test by pushing a skewer into the centre of the cake – it should come out clean.
- When using our Rapeseed Oil instead of butter substitute 100g for about 85-90ml of oil.