- 200g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 150ml rapeseed oil
- 200g self-raising flour
- 120g caster sugar
- 2 whole courgettes, finely grated
- 50g hazelnuts, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp amaretto
- 200g creme fraiche
- The zest of 1 medium orange
- 1/2 tsp orange blossom
- 1/2 vanilla pod
- Preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 4. Line the inside of a cake tin with a little rapeseed oil, baking parchment or greaseproof paper. Bring a small pot of water to a simmer.
- Add the chocolate to a bowl and set on top of the pan of water, making sure it doesn’t touch the bottom or it will burn and become grainy. Stir gently with a wooden spoon until fully melted.
- Put the eggs and rapeseed oil in a bowl and whisk together until light and fluffy. Put the flour, sugar and a pinch of salt in another bowl and mix. Add the egg and rapeseed oil mix to the flour and begin to stir until it has binded. Now add the courgettes, hazelnuts and melted chocolate and stir until it is completely mixed through. Pour the mix into the tin and place in the centre of the hot oven.
- Bake for 45 minutes. The cake is cooked when it feels firm but springy.
- Puncture holes in the top of the cake and splash the amaretto all over the top. Turn out the cake and allow to cool slightly. Mix together the creme fraiche, orange zest, orange blossom and vanilla in a bowl.
- Serve on the side of the cake.
Recipe by Silvana Franco. Photo by Emil Bendixen.